Private Clinical Lessons
Private lessons with a Somatic Educator methodically address the three reflex patterns that result from stress, injuries, repeated motions, etc. that typically cause muscle tension and dysfunctional movement patterns.
Hands-on guidance and gentle movement exercises are combined to help you reconnect with your internal awareness and re-establish improved voluntary control of your muscles in order to release your habituated patterns.
You will get the most benefit if you approach Somatics as an educational process rather than as a form of therapy.
Sessions are suitable for all ages and fitness levels, and can benefit every-BODY.
Assessment & Introductory Session
- 75 - 90 minutes
- Health History Review
- Postural Assessment
- Gait Assessment
- Learn self care movement exercises for home practice. You will learn the movements while lying on a wide table similar to a massage table.
- Wear stretchy comfortable clothing that you can move in. You will remain fully clothed for the session.
- 3 - 5 follow up sessions are typically recommended.
- Rate $90.
- Payment can be made by cash, cheque or e- transfer
*please fill out this form once you have booked an appointment
Follow up Appointments
- 75 minutes
- Check in
- Review homework / previous movements taught
- Experience hands-on techniques
- Continue with new movement exercises for home practice
- 3 - 5 follow up sessions are typically recommended
- Rate $80
- ***Only available for clients who have had an Initial Assessment.
It is highly recommended that you begin a regular home practice to reinforce the benefits that you achieve in your one-on-one sessions. Home practice exercises take only about 10-15 minutes daily and require no special equipment. The exercises can be viewed as 'foundational' in nature to improve the way you move your body....either for sport or just your daily activities. Just as our teeth need daily maintenance....so do our muscles!
In a group-based Somatic Movement Class, you will learn slow, gentle, relaxing self-care movements called pandiculations, that will guide you towards learning how to alleviate pain and tension in your body.
Group classes are a great way to establish your 'foundational practice' and expand your knowledge beyond what you have learned in the private lessons.
Classes are also a suitable introduction for those new to Somatics.
- Explore full body movement patterns to address the three reflex patterns.
- Gain a finely tuned muscular control through the full range of motion of your muscles.
- Re-establish natural movement patterns
- Gain a heightened sense of internal body awareness
- Relieve stress and relax
- Floor practice on a yoga mat
- Suitable for all ages and fitness levels
- Wear stretchy comfortable clothing that you can move in
- 60 minutes
Somatic Movement Classes
Drop in classes $10 per class
Tuesdays: 9:30-10:30 am
***must be a member of the Canmore Seniors Association
Jan 14th - Feb 18th, 2020
Max: 10 participants
Location: Seniors Centre - Activity Room - Upstairs
RSVP: to reserve your spot please contact Brenda
*****Stay tuned for Thursday afternoon classes starting mid January. This class will be available to the general public.
“We're looking for freedom of movement - movement that is free and efficient. If you have unconscious contractions out of your control, then your muscles work twice as hard on any action."
Thomas Hanna, Somatics, Reawakening the Mind's control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health
What people are saying!
"Brenda is an amazing intuitive therapist. She is passionate sharing her knowledge with her clients. I felt very comfortable with Brenda and I was able to let go of emotional and physical pain. Somatic therapy does wonders when practiced on a regular basis. I recommend somatic therapy to anyone who is ready to let go. Aren't we all ready to have a healthier, happier life?" Patricia B.
"My back pain has been alleviated by practicing somatics in bed daily for 5 minutes." Allan T.
"Just letting you know I do the exercises every day and my chiropractor and masseuse have seen a huge difference in my muscle tone. My back adjusts way easier... " Stacy B.